Tires have more environmental impact than a person can imagine. The massive manufacturing of tires and the difficulties to get rid of used tires constitutes one of the main environmental problems in the world for the past few years. A tire needs big quantities of energy to be produced and it also brings, if it is correctly recycled, contamination to the environment since it comes from, generally, uncontrolled drains.
Other methods exist to achieve a coherent recycle of these products but we are lacking politics favoring the capture and implementation of industries dedicated to recover or eliminate, in the cleanest way, all dangerous components.
PROBLEMS CATCHING UP
In some countries, 250,000 tons of used tires are generated.
45 % are introduced into untreated controlled drains. 15 % are later introduced into a crushing machine and 40 % is not controlled.
To eliminate these residues, they throw it into flames causing direct environmental problems.
On these tire drains, the piles of tires form reefs where the proliferation of rodents, insects and other animals constitute a serious problem.
The reproduction of certain mosquitoes, which transfer dieses that cause fevers and encephalitis, comes to be 4,000 times more than the reproduction theses mosquitoes produce in suspended water.
There are diverse methods currently in use to recycle tires. These methods intend to convert tire into electric energy or try to reutilize the material.
• THERMOLYSIS. Tires are exposed to heat without the presence of oxygen. This method achieves the total recover of the tire components.
• PYROLYSIS. Is an experimental method somewhat extended. The products obtained after this process are usually gases similar to propane and industrial oil.
• INCINIRATION. On this method, heat is produced that can be used as energy. With this method, the contaminant products that are produced in the combustion are dangerous to human life. Also, they are dangerous due to the fact that they are soluble in water, causing them to pass through the water chain and towards humans.
• CRYOGENIC CRUSHING. This method is very complex and expensive. The process intends to separate the different materials that compose the tire.
• MECHANICAL CRUSHING. This method is purely mechanic. The crushing with mechanical systems is, almost always, the previous step before the recover method.
• ECOLOGICAL TIRES. Due to the diverse problems that tires cause to our environment, many manufacturers are starting to design new products that are more environmental friendly.